Sunday, June 17, 2007

rntmrls



Thirty-nine. That’s the number of years he has been a father. With each offspring came greater responsibility; but Daddy cherished the role and played it superbly from the very start.

Thirty-three. That’s the number of years I’ve know him. If not for his fervent prayers I probably would not have made it past the age of one.

Four. That’s the number of children he brought to this world. All professionals now and attempting to make their own mark in the world; yet each knows that only Daddy can provide the best answers to all of life’s questions, and that he shall willingly show the way.

Almost five. That’s the number of grandchildren he has. He is a doting grandfather who balances strictness and slack; the coolest grandpa who gives the warmest hugs.

Twenty. That’s the number of years he has spent away from his family. Necessity might have taken him away from his brood, but he remains to be the head of the household.

One. That’s the number of times he gave me a spanking. Because he knows that a heart to heart conversation is better when disciplining a child. At a very young age, I realized and appreciated how my dad respected my thoughts and opinions and he eagerly listens to what I have to say.

Countless. That’s the number of time he has forgiven and understood my mistakes. Constantly assuring me that his love can go beyond my foolishness and faults; making sure that I am comforted with the thought that daddy loves me no matter what.

A million. That’s the number of times I want to say “ thank you Daddy” for being my provider, best friend, confidante, mentor and inspiration.

Love you Dad.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

This was very touching Daphne, touching and beautifully written.

Daphne said...

thanks jenn.
One day in three hundred sixty-five is never enough to honor our dads, it's the least i can do to show my gratitude.

I'm glad you're writing more frequently now. I hope you'll always find the time to do so.