Monday, August 21, 2006

Uncertainty

Borrowing a friend's article title, I would like to talk about the recent happenings regarding my career.

A few weeks back, our HR director and our boss summoned out whole department to a closed door meeting. It was for the prupose of announcing the pending reorganization of the HR group. As a consequence, people might be displaced, transferred elsewhere or lose their jobs. The new organization will not happen until 2008, but changes will begin happening by third quarter of this year. With the announcement came a suggestion to start exploring career opportunities outside SMC. Of course there was much talk about us being highly employable to quell our anxiety about the impending change.

Just when I have made my decision to stay in SMC up until rertirement age...

I love being in San Miguel, not only do I learn something new each day, I am also in the company of people who have become dear friends. I take pride in our products (sometimes I get flak from my sisters because of my loyalty to SMC products), our heritage, and the kind of people that SMC breeds. Walking in the corridors (despite the worn out carpeting and wiggly panels) of the head office makes me feel at home. The guards and maintenance people are polite, the employees (well most) have a ready smile when you nod or say hi.

But then again, as I said before, sometimes decisions are not ours to be made. Sometimes, circumstances will dictate the direction.

I've posted a couple of applications on-line and got a couple of calls for interviews already. Let's see what happens next.

No comments: