Sunday, January 20, 2008

Celebrating Brokeness

Just got back from church service and today is one special day because I was able to bring my sister to "The Feast." I've been bugging her to join us every Sunday because I know she will be blessed by the encounter.

A couple of days ago, I texted her and asked if she could come with me and she gave me a half-baked yes when she said "sana magising ako" because she knows that we normally attend the 7:30 service. This morning, I woke up a bit late (9am) and a few minutes later she was already knocking on our door. We both attended the 10AM service.

It was heartwarming because I've been praying for this for so long. I've been wanting her to attend because I know that there are so many things she wants to resolve in her life. I can see what she is going through and it breaks my heart that I cannot do anything to alleviate her situation. All I could offer is to lead her towards finding her faith again, and making her realize that there is Someone she can always come to when things are tough. I personally cannot change her circumstances, but all I can do is lead her to Someone who can.

The topic of Bo's talk today was all about "Celebrating Brokenness." He talked about how we tend to respond to our weaknesses in different ways. Some people take flight (by being angry and bitter), some fight it (by burying weakness in an addiction), while others fantasize (by covering it up and pretending that everything's on the up and up). The best way however is to feast;to celebrate one's brokenness by acknowledging it, sharing it with others, asking for help, blessing others with one's weakness and accepting other people's weakness as well.

Bo's talk also featured a video of a preacher who was born without arms and feet but he is able to take care of himself, and he continues to touch the lives of other people through his preaching. After watching the video, all of us had the same thought in our minds..."Who are we to complain?"

I know my sister thought the same and I truly believe that she was greatly blessed by the experience. We both had tears in our eyes while we were singing our praises and gave each other the warmest hug after.

I asked her to come with me again next week and this time she readily said "YES."

No comments: